Diabetes Advocate Natalie Balmain

Heeling Diabetes had the pleasure of interviewing @Type1Clothing Owner Natalie Balmain...

Natalie Balmain is a fashion designer from England, and the creative force behind Type 1 Clothing. She was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 20, and this was ultimately her inspiration behind  her debut line, designed to help people manage their multiple daily injections more easily and wear insulin pumps more comfortably. Natalie has raised money for JDRF, Diabetes UK and other clinical research trials over the years and continues to pledge 5% of the profits from Type 1 Clothing. She talks frequently on the BBC as a diabetes and fashion expert, and has featured in The Guardian, Balance magazine and more, as well as her own series of vlogs raising awareness and education around type 1 diabetes.

What type of diabetes do you have and how did you know you had diabetes? What were your symptoms?
-I have Type 1 Diabetes. I was diagnosed nearly 11 years ago, in January 2007. I had lost a lot of weight during November and December and was about 40kg when my parents made me see a doctor because they thought I was anorexic. My only symptom really was thirst, but I just thought I was oddly thirsty, I didn't really think much about it. The crazy thing is that at that time in my life I received more compliments than ever- I was literally dying and people were offering me modelling work and saying how great I looked :(

How long have you had diabetes and how was it transitioning from being a diabetic in the hospital to being a diabetic at home?
- I've had type 1 for almost 11 years now but the early years were the hardest. I felt like I didn't get much support after leaving the hospital, and I suffered with depression for years after my diagnosis which affected my ability to look after myself. That dangerous combination of conditions was never directly addressed by any doctors and I had just work it out for myself. It scares me to think of other young T1s going through the same thing, that's why more awareness is needed. More awareness means more support.

Does any of your family or friends have diabetes?
-I didn't find it out until much later, but it turns out that one of my second cousins has Type 1 diabetes too. He is 10 years younger than me, but weirdly we were diagnosed in the same year! Since I've been T1 though I've made a lot of other T1 friends.

How is it dating with diabetes?
-Dating with diabetes is hard. I was with my university boyfriend when I was diagnosed and we were together for 7 years afterwards. He really looked after my diabetes and so I never worried much. When we broke up (not diabetes related) I realized how hard it was to date. Even though I talk about my diabetes very publicly, I still feel self conscious on dates and I've had some horrible dates with guys who have asked dumb questions and/or made insensitive remarks.


I’m a diabetic as well and my eating habits haven’t really changed since my diagnosis. Have you changed your diet since you became a diabetic? What’s your favorite food and/or snack?
-I think I'm just more aware of what I put in my body these days- I still eat what I want for the most part (my favorite food is homemade flatbread PIZZA - yum) but I've definitely cut back on sugary drinks and alcohol. 

Do you get annoyed when people ask if you should be eating a certain food?
-I get annoyed when people make any attempt to tell me about my own diabetes, but particularly when it comes to what I can eat, or might have eaten. My level of response depends on whether I've actually eaten the food yet or not; I can keep my cool unless I'm hungry!

How often do you test your glucose?
-I choose to use a Dexcom to keep my blood sugars under control because I have a sight of blood phobia and I find it really helps me. You calibrate it with twice daily blood glucose readings that I take morning and night.

Have you ever had an episode where your sugar was too low or too high besides your diagnosis? What caused that to happen?
-I nearly died just a few months ago actually, just as I was launching the clothing line; I got stressed out and I could feel my anxiety in my chest. No matter what I did I just couldn't get my blood sugars down and I started throwing up violently. I ended up being taken into hospital in an ambulance a few hours later in DKA with a blood ph of 7.0 and probably not a moment too soon. I was in hospital for 4 days. The same week that I was discharged the BBC released their mini documentary about me which got 3.5million views in 3 days, so it was a pretty crazy week.

What are some things that you do to keep your blood sugar under control?
-I have good days and bad days with my glucose levels like everyone, but I like to run regularly to keep my metabolism up and try and eat low GI carbs as much as possible. Every little bit helps!

Do you inject insulin or wear a pump? If you wear a pump has it clashed with your fashionable style? If so how?
-I'm on multiple daily injections, but I still find even they had an impact on my fashion choices... I used to avoid wearing my beloved jumpsuits if I was going to a bar so that I wouldn't have to go off to the bathrooms every time I needed to inject. It's no better for pump users- how are you really supposed to wear your pump with a dress and get it out to bolus? We all cope in the end, but it does restrict our choices and I believe we shouldn't have to 'just cope'.


I see that you have a diabetic clothing line that I absolutely love! What inspired you to create a line specifically for diabetics and where can we find your clothes?
-Thank you so much! Well I knew I couldn't be the only T1 in the world to get frustrated with having to pull my trousers down all the time to inject and I knew I had the skills and experience to create a realistic solution so  I really just wanted to do something positive in our community! Hopefully it makes life a  bit easier for people in the process and just starts a big conversation! You can find the collection online at www.t1clothing.com 

What is unique about your diabetic clothing line?
-All my clothing features special access points to allow the wearer to access multiple areas of their skin to inject and so that they can rotate their injection sites. The clothes also feature special pockets for insulin pumps so that people can store their pumps somewhere they can access it, but with the tubing going directly through their clothing to the skin. 

You have a major influence on the diabetic community, what is something that people don’t know about you that you want them to know?
-I guess I would want people to know that even though I have a voice now, it wasn't always that way. I really struggled with my self confidence through my childhood and teen years and I told myself that I couldn't do things before I even tried. But I believe that if you can find something that you're passionate about, then you find your voice. 
For me, the turning point came when I became T1. I had such a hard time dealing with my diagnosis, that I knew I was position to help other going through the same thing. Now I speak with Type 1s from all over the world. So in a weird way, one of the worst things that ever happened to me is now one of the best things.



As far as helping the diabetic community, where do you see yourself in 10 Years with Diabetes?
-In 10 years' time I'd like to have achieved a cultural shift where it is no longer acceptable to joke about diabetes the way some people currently do, that's a big one for me! I also currently pledge 5% of the annual profits from Type 1 Clothing to diabetic clinical research around the world, so I'd like to think that in 10 years time, I would be able to set up my own Foundation dedicated to diabetes research.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Diabetes Advocates Bare it All

Diabetes Advocate Sparda Deleon Blog About It...